If a child is born out of wedlock, the father must be legally adjudicated by a Court before he can have visitation rights or the mother can claim child support from him. In a paternity action, it is determined who the father is, who will have custody of the child, what the other parent's visitation will be, and who will owe what amount of child support. If the parties are not in agreement as to paternity, a DNA test can be taken to ascertain the true identity of the father.

A mother filing a paternity action can also be able to collect the father's share of the costs of pregnancy, labor and delivery in some situations.

Paternity will be presumed if a child is born during wedlock, but if you had a child with a married woman, it is possible to overcome this presumption and still have paternity established.

Have A Question?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Anna K. Murray & Associates, P.C.
607 Watt Street
Jeffersonville, IN 47130

Phone: 812-269-2095
Fax: 812-284-1113
Map & Directions